- Powered by 24 hp (17.9 kW)* iTorque™ Power System
- 54-in. Accel Deep™ Mower Deck
- Twin Touch™ pedals - hydrostatic transmission
- 15-in. Open Back Seat
Engine is smooth-running and reliable V-twin air-cooled design
The tractor is powered by a John Deere iTorque™ power system, a combination of engine features and an exclusive hood design providing superior lugging ability, even cooling, and durability. Key engine features include:
- 24 hp (17.9 kW)
- Large 44.3-cu in. (726-cc) displacement
- V-twin air-cooled design
- Excellent power and performance
- Smooth, quiet power
- Easy starts
- Quality features include:
- Cast-iron cylinder liners
- Overhead valves
- Full-pressure lubrication
- Replaceable oil filter
- Dual-stage air cleaner
- Solenoid-shift starter for easy starts, even in cold weather
A flywheel alternator provides plenty of capacity to quickly recharge the battery and power electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer:
- 15-amp capacity
- Regulated to keep the battery at full charge without risk of overcharging
Fuel tank has a large, 4.4-U.S. gal. (16.6-L) capacity
Quality fuel system components enhance performance and convenience:
- Large, 4.4-U.S. gal. (16.6-L) capacity
- Wide, 3-in. (7.6-cm) diameter fuel tank filler opening
- Located on the left fender
- Makes adding fuel easy and helps eliminate spillage
- Sealed and tethered fuel cap
- Reduced fuel vapor loss
- Less chance of losing fuel cap
Convenient dash-mounted fuel gauge
- Automotive-style fuel gauge on the dash
- Easy to read from tractor seat
- Reduces likelihood of running out of fuel
- Eliminates unnecessary stops to refill
The 54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep™ (54A) Mower Deck cuts clean and is versatile
The 54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep Deck uses the latest in three-spindle mowing technology to raise performance to a higher level:
- 10-gauge, 0.135-in. (3.4-mm) deck stamping for long life
- Deep, flat-top deck design to handle a large volume of material at faster mowing speeds
- Gives excellent cut quality and uniform discharge
- Easy to keep clean on top of and under the deck
- Resilient four-point mounting system suspends mower from tractor for a smooth and level cut
- Wide mower wheels easily adjusted just above ground level to help prevent scalping
- 0.25-in. (6.4-mm) cut-height increments allow mower to be set at the desired cut height
- Onboard deck-leveling system makes keeping mower properly adjusted easy
- Compatible with optional MulchControl™ mulching system
- Compatible with high-performance Power Flow™ material collection systems
- For use on X380, X384, X390, X394, X570, X580, X584, and model year 2016 X590 Tractors
The 54-in. (137-cm) Accel Deep Mower Deck is a stamped-steel, deep, flat-top design that delivers excellent cut quality, productivity, cleanliness, durability, and versatility. Optimal performance and dispersion of clippings is provided, even at faster mowing speeds:
- 4.83-in. (12.3-cm) depth throughout the entire deck shell for optimum mowing, mulching, and bagging performance
- Optional lever-action or electric one-touch MulchControl attachment provides superior mulching performance and versatility.
- Stamped-steel design eliminates sharp edges and corners where material can build up and diminish mowing performance
- Mower deck is suspended from the vehicle for a smooth and level cut
- Adjustable mower wheels, positioned just above ground level, help reduce scalping
Excellent cut quality
Deep mower-deck stamping gives excellent cut quality. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck without getting recut:
- Reducing the amount of re-cutting enables more power to be used to cut incoming grass, which greatly improves mower capacity.
- Helps maintain excellent cut quality at faster mowing speeds
- Clean flow of material out of discharge area prevents cut material from interfering with cutting the incoming grass, making it possible for the blades to cut incoming material cleanly.
- Even in mulching mode, cut evenness is improved compared to other designs because the additional depth allows for continuous circulation, optimal re-cutting, and an even distribution of clippings.
Productivity - gets the job done fast
Deep mower-deck stamping gives high productivity, which gets the job done fast. It allows the cut and suspended material room to exit the deck quickly, reducing the amount of re-cutting so more power is available to process incoming grass:
- Greatly improves mowers capacity to maintain excellent mowing performance in difficult mowing conditions and at higher speeds
Large discharge opening is both high and wide to handle more material:
- Gives a smooth, even discharge of clippings at all mowing speeds
- Reduces the chance of plugging, especially important when operating in wet, thick, or dense grass and when bagging
- The 54A Power Flow blower has an inlet housing with over 20 percent greater area than the 54X Power Flow blower used on previous machines.
Cleanliness - for the mower and the operator
The flat-top shape of the deck stamping is optimal for keeping itself and the operator clean:
- There are few places to catch and hold material on top and underneath the deck.
- Top of deck stays cleaner, reducing time and effort needed for cleaning and service
- Underside of deck is self-cleaning to maintain optimum performance without build-up of material to interfere with the flow of air and clippings
- Less need to clean and remove build-up of material from underside deck
- The depth of the Accel Deep mower deck minimizes the amount of material that escapes from the front of the deck:
- Limited amount of material to drift onto the operator and mower deck
- Even for material discharged out the chute, less re-cutting results in larger pieces that are less likely to end up on the operator
- Mulching prevents the discharge of material completely and a MulchControl attachment makes mulching a practical solution for most mowing situations.
Cleaning a mower deck, both top and bottom, is one of the most frequent maintenance activities:
- The flat-top design reduces places for material to build up and makes material that does collect easy to remove.
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Superior durability is designed in
The 54A Mower Deck has strong spindle pockets, to keep the blades aligned, even after years of tough service:
- Ribs in the deck shell add strength where it is needed.
- The 54A has a 3 percent heavier overall weight than the Edge™ Xtra 54-in. (137-cm) mower deck used on previous machines.
Mower wheels are heavy duty:
- Provides greater strength and durability for longer, trouble-free life.
- Setting wheels to the correct height for the cutting height quick and easy.
Low-tension belt-drive design reduces the side load on engine lower bearings and mower deck bearings for longer life.
The 54A Mower Deck features a 5/8-in. (16-mm) diameter solid-steel rod side bumper that provides extra strength and protection.
Dual-stage E-coat and powder-paint coatings provide extra protection from rust.
Versatility - easy to change between side discharge, mulch, and bagging modes
The 54A Mower is designed for maximum versatility, providing the greatest ease in changing from one mower discharge mode to another:
- With an optional MulchControl attachment installed (along with the special mulching blades), changing from mulch mode to side discharge mode or vice versa is done with the simple flip of a lever or touch of an electric switch.
- The Power Flow rear bagger can be used with the MulchControl attachment and blades installed by simply using the MulchControl lever or electric one-touch switch to move the MulchControl baffle to the side-discharge position.
A MulchControl attachment for the 54A Mower Deck makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
- For the lever-action MulchControl attachment, the MulchControl lever on top of the mower deck is used to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- The operator is required to get off of the tractor in order to engage or disengage mulch mode with the lever-action system.
- For the electric one-touch MulchControl attachment, the electric switch on the tractor dash is used to engage or disengage mulch mode.
- Changing from mulch mode to side discharge mode or vice versa takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side-discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. The operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side discharging or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
7-bu (247-L) rear bagger
An optional 7-bu (247-L) cut-and-throw rear bagger material collection system (MCS) is available for use with the 42-in. (107-cm) Accel Deep Mower. It provides an efficient means of collecting grass clippings and leaves.
- The Power Flow blower and chute are easy to install. The Power Flow blower swings out for easy cleanout and cleanup.
- The hopper design provides modern styling, great bagging performance, cleaner operation, and easy-to-empty bags:
- 7-bu (247-L) capacity
- Easy-to-attach Power Flow blower (ordered separately)
- Easy-to-attach chute (ordered separately)
- Air exhaust duct
- Convenient spring-latch
- Airflow fill indicator
- Quik-Tatch mounting
- Sealed hopper top
- Loose-knit bags available
Larger 14-bu (493-L) and 19-bu (670-L) MCS are available, in addition to the 7-bu (247-L) MCS, for specific X300 and X500 Series Tractor models.
An exclusive 4-year or 500-hour (whichever comes first), single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is standard for all John Deere X500 Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
- Premium features of X500 Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.