- 3-cylinder diesel engine
- Power steering and hydraulic lift
- 4-year/700-hour bumper-to-bumper warranty
Engine is 3-cylinder diesel for fuel economy and durability
A liquid-cooled, 3-cylinder diesel engine provides exceptional power, performance, fuel economy, and durability to handle commercial-use applications:
- Large displacement provides exceptional torque
- Cast-iron block improves noise absorption
- Quality features include cast-iron cylinder liners, overhead valves, full-pressure lubrication, and replaceable oil filter
- Solenoid-shift starter ensures easy starts, even in cold weather
- High-energy glow plugs ensure quick starts in cold weather; an automatic sensing system tells the operator when the engine is ready to start
- Mechanical fuel bleed eliminates the need for tools and fuel leaking onto the ground when bleeding the fuel system:
- Simply pump the fuel pump that is located on the side of the engine
- Electric fuel shutoff eliminates the need for a separate kill switch
- Indirect injection with pre-combustion chambers provide smooth, quiet operation
- Engine-mounted 40-amp alternator supplies regulated charge to the battery for fast recharge:
- Also provides plenty of power for 12-volt-powered attachments and accessories
- Low exhaust emissions are certified to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state of California standards for cleaner air:
- Overhead valve design for efficient airflow
- Swirl chamber combustion design for efficient combustion
- Liquid cooled for more consistent operating temperatures
- Closed crankcase ventilation recirculates and burns crankcase hydrocarbons
24 hp (17.9 kW)
60.6 cu in. (993 cc)
Air intake system
Engine intake air is drawn in through screened panels at the base of the pedestal and on the right and left sides of the tractor hood:
- Cleanest and coolest area of the tractor
- Pre-cleans the air to keep large chaff and debris from entering the radiator or air cleaner
- Easy to clean and service so engine operates at optimum temperature
The diesel engine uses a heavy-duty cyclonic canister-type replaceable air filter:
- Completely sealed for effective cleaning
- Cyclone action that is designed to eject 90 percent to 95 percent of the dirt before it reaches the paper element
- Secondary safety element that provides additional filtering
- Total effective filter area of 512 sq in. (3303 sq cm)
An air filter restriction indicator is standard equipment:
- Indicator light on the dash alerts the operator when the air filter is dirty and needs to be replaced
- With a visual check, air filter daily service is simplified
- Indicator extends the engine life by eliminating inadvertent dirt entry into the engine from over-servicing of the air filter
Fuel tank has a large 5.2-U.S. gal. (19.7-L) capacity
A large, 5.2-U.S. gal. (19.7-L) capacity fuel tank holds enough fuel for extended operation between refills:
- Fuel-fill location is on the left fender for easy access, increased safety, fewer spills, and convenience during filling.
- In-tank electric fuel pump supplies ample fuel flow to eliminate vapor lock and ensure quick engine starts, even after months of storage.
Battery and alternator are large capacity
A high-capacity, regulated alternator charging system provides plenty of power to quickly recharge the battery and run electrical equipment, such as lights or a sprayer:
- 40-amp alternator is provided as standard equipment on diesel engines.
A large-capacity, 500 cold-cranking amp battery provides plenty of cranking power for quick, sure starts in cold weather:
- Mounted at the front of the tractor frame for easy accessibility
54-in. (137-cm) and 60-in. (152-cm) Edge™ High-Capacity (HC) Mower Decks are heavy duty A deep-deck design of 5.5 in. (14 cm) delivers excellent airflow so material can be processed quickly and efficiently. The deck is stamped from 9-gauge, 0.15-in. (3.8-mm) steel and has welded-on reinforcement at the bottom edge for extra strength and durability.
High-capacity mower decks are formed in a hydraulic press to minimize the number of welds and provide a smooth underside for reduced material buildup:
- Wider and higher discharge opening provides an even clipping dispersal for an excellent finished appearance in all conditions.
- Durable plastic deflector spreads grass clippings evenly across the lawn, is hinged, and can be raised to minimize the storage space required.
- 1-in. (2.5-cm) cold-forged spindles are heat-treated for strength and supported by ball bearings.
- Front edge is raised above the blade plane to allow even cutting of tall grass.
- Blade overlap is greater than many conventional decks for a clean cut.
- Mower can side-discharge, mulch (optional), or use a Power Flow™ collection system (optional).
Ramps are provided to permit driving over the mower deck for installing and removing it from the tractor:
- Constructed of 30 percent glass-filled polypropylene for strength to carry the weight of the tractor
- Polypropylene material will not rust or corrode for lasting good appearance
- Shark tooth shaped grips designed into the ramp inclines for added wheel traction when driving onto the mower deck
- Tire grab at the rear of the ramp gives extra wheel traction
- Ramps removed and replaced without tools to permit convenient servicing of the mower spindles
A wash port is provided to make cleaning the underside of the mower deck easy.
- Hose connector is included with the mower deck.
Optional high-performance mulching attachment
The high-performance mulching attachment provides excellent mulching performance:
- This is a high-performance mulching attachment that includes formed steel baffles to control the material and special mulching blades for superior performance.
- The special mulching blades that are included can also be used for side discharging and collecting, though overall performance may be slightly less than with the standard blades.
- Order: BM23977, 54 HC mulching attachment or BM23978 60 HC mulching attachment
Optional MulchControl™ attachment
The MulchControl attachment makes mulching more practical for many mowing situations because it not only does an excellent job of mulching but it also allows the mower to be easily converted for times when it is more desirable to side discharge or collect the lawn material. Advantages of mulching grass clippings include:
- A beautiful looking lawn
- Grass clippings not blown onto the operator, driveways, or flower beds
- Less fertilizer use
- Elimination of the effort needed to dispose of clippings
MulchControl is an innovative, simple design that is easy to use and maintain:
- The MulchControl attachment includes baffles to control the flow of material under the deck.
- The left mower blade area is completely enclosed and optimized for mulching, thus will mulch even when the mower is in the side-discharge mode.
- Baffles around the center and right blades are optimized for mulching when the discharge baffle is closed.
The optional MulchControl attachment comes with a handle on top of the mower deck that is used to open and close the discharge baffle:
- The operator is required to get off of the machine in order to engage or disengage mulch mode.
An optional hydraulic MulchControl actuator attachment is available to replace the standard control lever and allow the operator to control MulchControl from the seat using the tractor’s hydraulic control lever.
NOTE: To have hydraulic control of the MulchControl baffle, both MulchControl and hydraulic MulchControl actuator attachments must be ordered. The hydraulic MulchControl actuator is an extra-cost option for the MulchControl attachment.
Changing from mulching to side discharge or vice versa with the hand lever or hydraulic MulchControl actuator option takes only a few seconds.
MulchControl is well-suited to the following mowing situations:
- Usually mulch, but side discharge when grass gets too long
- Usually side discharge, but would like to be able to close the chute to control clippings
- Always mulch a main lawn, but often side discharge secondary lawns
- Bag clippings, but want to go farther before emptying bags
MulchControl puts the operator in control of the clippings. Now the operator can have all the benefits of mulching with the ability to easily change to side-discharge or bagging when needed.
While in the side-discharge mode, MulchControl will still mulch about one-third of the material. Therefore, the side-discharge mode is essentially a partial-mulch mode. This can be an advantage when side discharging or bagging, as it helps to reduce the amount of material being discharged. Other times this could work as a disadvantage:
- When cutting strong southern grasses, such as Zoysia and Bermuda
- When cutting in wet, high-growth conditions, such as those found in the Pacific Northwest United States
- When optimum bagging and lawn clean-up is desired
MulchControl is a field-installed attachment. Mulching blades are included:
- MulchControl is for 2015 and newer X700 Signature Series Tractor and:
- 9074M 54-in. (137-cm) HC Mower Deck (serial number 030,001-070,000)
- 9078M 54-in. (137-cm) HC Mower Deck (serial number 070,001-)
- 9075M 60-in. (152-cm) HC Mower Deck (serial number 030,001-070,000)
- 9079M 60-in. (152-cm) HC Mower Deck (serial number 070,001-)
- Optional hydraulic MulchControl actuator (BUC10536) is available for model year 2019 and newer mower decks (9078M and 9079M) only. In addition, mower must be equipped with the basic MulchControl attachment.
NOTE: The hydraulic MulchControl actuator is not available for the 48-in. (122-cm) Accel Deep™ Mower Deck.
BM26300 MulchControl attachment (54 HC)
BM25258 MulchControl attachment (60 HC)
BUC10536 Hydraulic MulchControl actuator
Mower deck attachability
X758 Tractor driving onto high-capacity mower deck
High-capacity mower decks have ramps positioned on top of the deck for easy installation:
- On a four-wheel drive (4WD) tractor, the operator can simply drive onto and over the deck.
- On a two-wheel drive (2WD) tractor, the operator must back onto and over the deck.
To remove the mower deck:
- Disconnect the drive shaft.
- Unlock the draft arm locks.
- Back or drive the tractor onto and off the mower deck.
- On a 4WD tractor, the operator can simply back onto and off the deck.
- On a 2WD tractor, the operator can simply drive forward onto and off the deck.
An exclusive 4-year or 700-hour (whichever comes first), single-source, bumper-to-bumper warranty* is standard for all John Deere X700 Series Tractors.
- The warranty is hassle free, with one company handling all of the paperwork.
- Premium features of X700 Series Tractors allow for this longer warranty period, with more coverage than comparable tractors.
*Term limited to years or hours used, whichever comes first, and varies by model. See the LIMITED WARRANTY FOR NEW JOHN DEERE TURF AND UTILITY EQUIPMENT at JohnDeere.com or JohnDeere.ca/TUWarranty for details.